Sunday, July 31, 2011

An Eventful Saturday



Saturdays here aren't much different from in the States: more relaxing but more people out.


We started our Saturday morning with a trip to a "spa."  Some of us wanted our nails done, some hair cuts, and some massages.   The place where we went didn't do all of those things.  Instead Amber got a head and shoulders massage that was REALLY good! 






Katie got her hairwashed and a head/shoulders massage.  Juanita got her haircut, and Jori waited patiently until she and Juanita could go get their nails done.  After our events at the hairplace, one of the stylists told our interpreter that he'd like to style my (Katie) hair... for free!  I said sure.  After all, it's only hair and I need a cut when I get home anyway.  How badly can he mess it up, right?  I'm not sure if he was interested in me, my blond hair, or the fact that I'm an American... but I let him go for it.  Since I don't speak Chinese, I couldn't tell him that my hair doesn't hold curl.  Well, what did he decide to do?  Curl my hair... It was huge and poofy when he was done but had decreased to only a wave by lunch and just a mess of hairspray by dinner time.  Juanita, Jori, and Heather (our amazing hostess/ interpreter) left us at the hair salon, and Amber and I are proud to announce we hailed our own taxi, told him to take us to the hotel, and successfully told him where the hotel was when he got lost.  We're really proud of ourselves.
After lunch we went back to the tailor shop for our fitting.  Some of our clothes are done and look amazing.  Other articles need a bit of retouching.  Namely... my clothes... You'd think with the size of Chinese people that they'd be used to people my size... apparently not.  My pants are a bit looser here than they are at home, so I wanted to make sure the clothes will fit at home, too.  I don't know the Chinese word for engordar (to get fatter) but I now recognize it... it starts with a "p".  Even though the tailor only speaks Chinese and we only speak English, communication was achieved!  And it wasn't all a game of charades either.


We had a little bit of time to go to a market nearby.  We've both been to Central American markets and were kind of expecting something like that but maybe without the bright colors... yeah, it was nothing like that.  The layout was similar (minus the peddlars everywhere!) but all of the items for sale looked like they were purchased at the dollar store.  We are definitely not in a tourist area... they sold screw drivers, notebooks, lightbulbs, power strips, everyday clothes... no soccer jerseys, cute spoons, handmade anything... Although we did buy a few souvineers.


One of our students treated us to an authentic Chinese meal.  The best fake Chinese food I've (Katie) ever had was in Nicaragua... This was the best REAL Chinese food we've ever had.  In China it is normal to order one dish per person plus one and everyone shares.  Our hostess couldn't decide and ordered five dishes for the three of us... I might have to go back to the tailor and get my clothes resized again... We ate:




1. Chicken.  Delicious!  But it did have the head still on it (which Amber didn't see and Katie didn't bother to tell her about!)
2. Green beans and eggplant: AMAZING!  (Katie's favorite)
3. A plate of veggies: celery, mushroom, walnuts, peppers.
4. Meatballs (Yes, Momma Ax, I ate them).
5. Shreaded "pie"... basically real lo mein. (Amber's favorite)


On our walk home we saw an American in a Korean restaurant.  This is the first American we've seen since we've been here (besides the nine through our organization, of course).  Like good Chinese people when you see foreigners, we both stopped and stared at him.  He was staring back at us... so Katie waved.  His face lit up and he waved back.  We foreigners have to stick together!

We walked through the main square of this city.  China comes to life at night!  There were people everywhere!  Roller blading, dancing, playing Chinese hacky sack, selling things, talking, walking dogs, etc.  We even saw some Deaf people Amber wasn't brave enough to talk to. (Amber interjects.....KATIE didn't try either! Plus after the fail in the bus station trying to communicate, I wasn't up for trying at the moment...but if it makes Katie happy..the next Deaf person we see, I will attempt communication.)


There were two little girls playing a traditional Chinese game where one girl holds the strings and the other jumps over and/or on the strings... We didn't really get it... but Katie tried it.  The girls were shy and I'm sure laughing inside at this dumb American trying to play a game she doesn't understand.  I gave those two girls bracelets and then more kids came... I think I gave out ten bracelets.


A little while later we saw a little girl playing Skip-It.  Now THAT I understand.  So I tried it.  The girl was just in awe of this American using her toy.  Her father was laughing at the American whose foot was so big she had to take her shoe off to get the Skip-It off... I gave her a bracelet, too.  I figure if she shares her toy I can share a bracelet.


Back at the hotel we saw some really drunk men... We hid in the stairwell while they took the elevator up to their room.




Just a normal Saturday here in China...
Love,
Katie and Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment